February By The Numbers
Last month, KHS found homes for 89 dogs and cats, transferred 57 animals to our mainland partner shelters, and reunited 33 animals with their families.
MAHALO to all of our amazing volunteers, staff, and supporters who helped so many happy tails come true!
Extend Your Field Trip Love
If you've ever taken a Kaua`i Humane Society dog on a field trip and fallen in love, you've probably felt the heartache of returning the dog to the shelter, and wished that you could do something more. Now you can!
1. Purchase one of these beautiful Field Trip T-Shirts or other items designed by our very own Transfer Manager and the funds will go to transferring a shelter pet to the mainland.
2. Take the dog back to the mainland with you! Even if you aren't ready for adoption, you can help give the dog a second chance by working with our team to help transport the animal to a rescue partner near you. We will handle the logistics. Ask KHS staff about how you can help when you pick up or return your field trip dog.
3. Post. Post. Post. When you post on social media about your field trip dog, it gets that dog so much more exposure! Just last week Ramsy was transferred to his new family on the mainland after going on his first field trip! Ramsy was at the shelter for more than 240 days. He progressed in his training enough to finally go on a field trip, his field trip friends posted on their social media, and their friends in California fell in love and adopted him!
Every adopted animal gets a free Leprechaun toy this month!
March Adoption Specials
Thanks to a couple of generous donors, we are extending our February Adoption Specials through March 6!
Dog Adoption Specials Through March 6:
- All dogs who have been at the shelter longer than 100 days are free, and will go home with a free Dog Starter Pack and 3 months of flea preventative.
- Dogs who have been at the shelter longer than 100 days that are adopted or transferred off island, will receive $150 towards their flight expense instead of the free supplies.
- The first 50 adult and senior dogs adopted on or off island will be free and receive a free collar and leash!
Cat Adoption Specials:
- All cats and kittens are free!
Featured Animals: Storm & Wednesday
Meet Storm: Storm is a six-year-old Neapolitan Mastiff/ Hound mix. He's a very sweet boy whose white muzzle makes him appear older than he is. Storm can be a shy boy. He's had a tendency to be afraid of cars/traffic/roads, but has progressed to enjoying car rides with the help of some volunteers and a few field trips. He's been at the shelter for 154 days and has recently shown to be stressing something terrible. This can happen with animals who have nervous tendencies. The best thing we could possibly do for him is to get him into a home or a foster home as soon as we possibly can. He needs to get out of the shelter, even temporarily, to feel safe again. Click "Meet Storm" to apply for adoption, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to foster Storm.
Meet Wednesday: Wednesday is a 10-month-old all black shiny, soft girl. She is large and in charge, and the ultimate couch companion. She loves to flop beside you (or on top of your keyboard, so look out if you work from home). She also loves to sit in the window to watch the trees rustle in the wind. She's not very fast at catching the feather wand, but she tries, and it's good exercise for her. This sweetie has just been snacking and napping in the shelter for 155 days! She likes to be picked up and held. She didn't even mind us putting her in an alligator costume for Halloween. She's easy-going, gets along with other animals, and is looking for her forever home.
New Foster Incentive Program
Thanks to a grant from Greater Good Charities, we are able to offer new fosters a $50 gift card to a local business or restaurant when they take a healthy animal into their home temporarily.
We are able to offer a total of $150 in gift cards if a new foster takes a more challenging case such as a neonatal kitten or dog who needs some behavioral training.
Fostering is an extremely rewarding experience because it gets the animal out of the shelter, helps prepare him or her for adoption, and frees up space and resources at the shelter.
We will supply you with everything you need and cover all medical expenses.
Click here to sign up as a new foster.
Email email@example.com for additional questions, or to sign up to foster if you've fostered with KHS before.
Volunteer Spotlight: Our Community Partners
We've recently started supplying local businesses with adoption flyers to hand out with purchases and to-go orders. We wanted to take this opportunity to thank these businesses for helping our shelter animals find their forever homes. It truly takes a village.
A huge mahalo to Natural Pet Hawaii, Fish Eye Kaua`i, Kickshaws, Kaua`i Coconuts, Seoul to Soul, Brianne & Co., Brick Oven Pizza, Rainbow Wave Art, and The Fish Bar Deli.
If you would like adoption flyers, rack cards about KHS's low-cost services or other programs, or if you would like to partner with KHS in another way, please visit this page here or click the button below.
Staff Spotlight: Raymond Sargent
We are excited to welcome Raymond to the team. Raymond started as our new Customer Service Representative about two weeks ago. If you come to the front desk of the shelter, you'll likely meet him! Raymond and his wife moved from the Big Island just a few weeks ago. Raymond is originally from Seattle, Washington and has lived in Hawaii for eight years. He said he was drawn to this job because he loves animals and he loves helping people.
Free Vaccines & Clinics in March
Thanks to Petco Love, we are offering free pet vaccines at all of our vaccine and microchip clinics in March.
We will also be on the west side of the island, Saturday March 26, offering free vaccines at our first community clinic of the year. Sign up for the community clinic is not necessary. This event is first-come, first served. More details to be announced soon!
We are also offering a free cat spay/neuter clinic Thursday, March 31.
For more info and to sign click here or click the button below.
We are excited to announce a brand new reading program for young and beginning readers. Help your young reader improve their reading skills while reading to shelter cats! It's great practice for the kids and the cats enjoy the company.
- Ages 7-13
- Second and fourth Fridays of the month
- Anytime between 3:30-5:30 p.m. (We suggest 30 minutes.)
- We have books or you can bring your own!
- Sign up here or click the button below.
Host A Vet Student
Our focus this year is to grow and expand to fit our community's needs, and a big part of that is offering more free and low-cost veterinary services. We often get offers from vet students and interns to come visit and volunteer at the shelter, but due to lack of affordable housing near the shelter, 9 out of 10 times, it doesn't work out. Having extra help means we can offer more affordable community clinics and get caught up on our own animals' needs.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would be interested in offering up a room or space for a traveling vet student or intern in the future. Mahalo!
Kaua`i Humane Society
PO BOX 3330
Lihu`e, Hawaii 96766